Confession time: I miss living with my sister. Why? She knows how to do my hair and makeup....I do not. Look how hot she has made me!
I love my hair curled. I've tried and tried and tried to curl my own hair...but it is impossible. For the past 10 months my curling iron has gone untouched...until New Years Eve. I decided I needed to ring in the new year with a new do. So, I blew it dry and got to work. Disaster. Straighten it and try again. Worse. Straighten....and try again. A Youtube video, three hours and a can of hairspray later, I looked like this.
I took a picture, sent it to my sister...and I thought she was going to die laughing (sadly I deleted the picture!) Silly Danny told me I looked good...apparently love really is blind. Twenty minutes later my sister sent me her perfect curls. SHOW OFF! Needless to say, as usual, I left the house with straight-as-can-be-hair.
Mom apparently felt bad for me. Wednesday I got an unexpected package from UPS. Hot rollers. I wasted no time. The first attempt was not successful. The second attempt was a wee bit better. Don't laugh too hard...please. Sidenote: I only left the curlers in for a little bit...how long am I supposed to leave them in?
It's progress...believe me!
I need your help and your tips...FAST! Tomorrow night is Katie and Frank's rehearsal dinner and I really want curls. Please help me not look like that sad little troll!







Let me tell you what works for me. I use those sponge rollers you can get a pack of 10 at the dollar tree. I get about 30 for my hair it's layered and thick. Wash your hair roll it up and sleep in them. It is kinda uncomfortable but once you go to sleep no biggie. Now if you go the hot roller route which never seems to work for me I would leave them in for a couple hours. gl!
ReplyDeleteThat's too funny. My sister has always done my makeup for anything special. I've just never really learned how. I can't get my hair to curl, but I think its just my hair.
ReplyDeleteI leave the rollers in till they cool off. Other than that, I've got nothing for you.
I love your new layout. Usually with hot rollers you have to leave them in for a few hours. Try putting them in right before you go to bed and leave them in until morning, or in the case of the rehearsal early morning until you get ready to leave. Though if I were you I would try it tonight and see how it comes out. You can always wash your hair to get them out of you don’t like it.
ReplyDeleteI have to advice. I'm challenged (to put it mildly) when it comes to anything girly.
ReplyDeleteI have the opposite problem: getting my hair to look good STRAIGHT...I think we should trade :)
ReplyDeleteWith hot rollers, you should leave them in until your hair is cool to the touch. You could even use hairspray with them in. And if you use a curling iron, you should spray your hair while the iron is still in your hair. That's what I do!
ReplyDeleteI hadn't ever, and I mean ever... curled my hair until the day before the ball this year (I actually bought the curling iron that day!) My sister and best friend always did it, even for my wedding. Anyway... what I ended up doing was washing it the night before, dirty hair is ALWAYS easier to style. Then sprayed each section of hair with hairspray before curling it... also make sure you curl the same way. Not gonna lie, it took me an HOUR to finish, then after I sprayed my whole head with hairspray again.
ReplyDeletehttp://skinniepiggie.blogspot.com/2010/11/235th-usmc-ball-oops.html
I feel your pain! My hair is board straight there is zero curl. When I had to do my hair for baton competitions, I used the sponge rollers overnight. Worked every time but I always felt like I looked like little orphan annie but with blonde hair because the curls were so tight. The next best thing I've found is wrapping hair around strips of a torn up towl just like with the sponge rollers. The curl would last and was looser than with the sponge rollers. But if you don't have overnight, go with dirty hair and big fat hot rollers. Lots of hairspray and leave them in until they are cool to the touch. Also, don't touch your hair alot after it is out of the rollers because the oils from your hands touching the hair will make it fall quicker. Hope this helps!
ReplyDeletesponge curlers, make sure you put them in vertically, and sleep in them. also, hair spray the crap out of them before you take out the curlers.
ReplyDeletemy hair won't hold a curl for anything.
if you use the hot rollers, leave them in until your hair is nice and hot, take it out and hold the curl in your hand until it is cool + lots of hair spray. if you let it fall, and then cool, it'll straighten. so let it cool while it's still curled.
I am by NO MEANS a hair expert and would GLADLY have my BFF do my hair for me.... BUT....Here's what I do.....and my hair is stick straight and does NOT hold curl but this works for me....
ReplyDelete1. Plug in your rollers and let them heat for at least an hour to get good and hot.
2. Divide your hair into layers, using a clip to hold the top layers out of your way and work from the bottom up.
3. Use the largest size rollers first (bottom layers). Roll up your hair in 1.5-2 inch sections. With my hair, this usually takes about 3 rollers for each layer.
4. When you get to the top layer, try to pull all your hair in front of your face (like Cousin It) and roll your hair right in the middle of your head....this gives me more body when I part it instead of having the curls just hang from my natural part).
5. Leave the rollers in for at least an hour, or until they're cool....or until about 5 minutes before you have to leave...whichever is longer.
6. Take the rollers out in the same order you put them in (bottom layer first). Once they're all out, shake your curls out and LOOSELY finger comb them into place. Spray ALL OVER with hair spray. It might look like really big hair at first, but if you're like me, it'll fall into place and be perfect in about 15 minutes!
Good luck!
my moms hair is straight and when i curl her hair i usually have her wash with Aussie Volume shampoo and little conditioner. I saw on some hair show about the conditioner part hehe!!! blow dry with a volume brush (the huge ones) then spray hair spray big hair is a good brand and sticks!!! and since your hair is so straight a small curly iron would be best to tighten the curl and stay!! Good Luck!!! and hope one of these suggestions help =)
ReplyDeletei can't curl my hair myself. i've tried rollers and curlers. it never turns out the way that i want. my hair is so thick that it takes forever. but if i go to a hair stylist, they have no problem curling my hair. it's no fair, because i want curly hair.
ReplyDeleteI read the comments above, and the one Kate left is closest to what I do. Always let them heat up a really long time (if they get too hot, I put a tiny piece of toilet paper between the roller and my head so it won't get burned LOL). Plus leave them in a while and make sure you put some hair spray on before you take the curlers out. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI did a whole post on hair pretty much at the same time you did!
ReplyDeleteis your hair naturally straight or wavy?
ReplyDeletei have a non-curling iron/hot curlers approach to it.
if its wavy, this is what i do (i have soft wavy curls, meaning if i brush it i destroy them). anywho...
once you get out the shower towel dry your hair DONT brush it. what i do to get a better effect is do the rock 'n roll head shake like 3x.
i then use a curling product (not mousse cause i dont want my hair to be stiff) and scrunch it. then i use this spray that help activiate the curls. i try to not leave the house until my hair is dry. its to avoid frizz and also a reason to not kill my hair more with a curling iron.
A straightener! I swear. It works like a champ. Youtube it. It's how I curl my tick, heavy, won't hold a curl hair.
ReplyDeleteI have the same problem! My curls never stay when I do my hair no matter how much product or hair spray I use, but every time I go to my stylist and get it cut she curls it perfectly. It has always baffled me! lol Hopefully you can figure something out in time for the dinner. That troll is hilarious!! ;)
ReplyDeleteI have the same problem!
ReplyDeleteEveryone here left some good advice, so I will second the tons of hairspray and leaving til cool factors.
Be careful though if you use a curling iron. Sraying your hair before then curling then spraying again can leave an icky residue on your curling iron since its so hot!
Also, try using Wash N Curl shampoo, it helps your hair hold a curl better!
Im super loving this post and here's why: My hair looked FANTASTIC on my wedding day. I had my stylist curl it bc I knew Bill would love that. She used hot rollers and it was a dream. Ive been wanting to try it again so I finally asked for hot rollers for Christmas. I got them but now Im at a loss on how to use them. When I saw this post, I jumped to the comments to read what advice you got and Im excited. Kate's comment sounds exactly like what my stylist did on my big day. STOOOOOOOOKED! cant wait to try it =)
ReplyDeleteLOL! I almost died laughing at the picture of the troll! My hair is super thick and crazy curly, but it's easier to wear by straightening. You'll figure it out!
ReplyDelete