Being on a budget scares people. For some reason people think you'll have to eat boxed mac and cheese, ramen noodles, and tv dinners. This couldn't be further from the truth. We buy lots of fruits and veggies...and recently, fish. We can actually buy MORE fish than red meats and chicken. And BONUS! It's healthier!
So, tonight for dinner I made shrimp bisque. Doesn't that sound fancy...and not something people on a budget eat? Here's how I did it!
2 cups water (free)
2 tsp seafood seasoning (free, we have a friend who makes his own!)
12 oz frozen shrimp ($6.99)
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced ($.34)
12 oz can evaporated milk ($.69)
1 cup milk (we had milk left from our last grocery trip)
2 Tbsp flour (pantry item, freebie)
2 anchovies chopped ($.36)
Total Cost $8.38, serves 4, $2.10 a serving
Combine water, seasoning, shrimp, and celery in a pot. Cook, uncovered, until shrimp turns pink. Remove shrimp with slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
In a bowl, whisk evaporated milk, milk, flour and anchovies. Stir into pot, cook uncovered for 10 minutes over medium heat.
Chop the shrimp, add back to soup, heat for another 2 minutes. Serve hot!
Remember, I got EVERYTHING I need for two weeks of living (not just meals, but toiletries and pet supplies!) for UNDER $150. How is THAT for my first budget friendly meal!?





No comments:
Post a Comment